Clean Water or Not?
Water damage is always inconvenient, no matter the type of water causing it; however, understand which type of water you're dealing with can be crucial to minimize destruction until our professionals arrive.
Clean water can be from a broken pipe/water source, or even rainwater.
Clean water becomes gray water after it has been left untreated. Untreated water allows for bacteria and fungi to grow and the water then becomes contaminated. This water can become hazardous.
Black water is typically caused by sewage damage or natural disaster flooding. Black water should ALWAYS be handled by professionals.
How do you minimize the damage from these water types?
For clean water:
If you can, shut off the water source.
Turn off any circuit breakers to affected areas. This protects from any potential electrical shock. Do not enter any rooms with standing water because unknown shock risks could be hiding.
Mop, blot, or wipe down any excess water.
To start drying any damage or soaked upholstery, remove and prop them up to start the drying process.
Move valuables to a safe place
Remove colored items that might bleed or run, causing stains.
Never use a vacuum to remove water. Shock risk is high!
If your ceiling is wet, don't turn on any ceiling fixtures. Don't enter the room is the ceiling is sagging from retained water.
For contaminated water:
Avoid all contact with sewage. Wash yourself thoroughly if you come into contact with contaminated items.
Do not walk through affected areas.
Do not turn on your HVAC system as it could spread contaminated air.
Do not use fans. Air flow could spread contaminants.
If food or personal hygiene products are exposed to contaminated area, discard them.
Water damage can be traumatic, but the cleanup and restoration process doesn't need to be.