Recent Fire Damage Posts

The Lingering Problem

9/29/2020 (Permalink)

Have you ever noticed how when you burn a bag of popcorn in the microwave the smell seems to linger for way longer than it should?

That's what happens with even the smallest fire in your home or business. After a fire in the area isn't properly cleaned, restored, and deodorized the burnt scent  can hold onto to your space for years to come. The smoke from a fire is what carries the awful scent throughout a structure and can set into almost any surface it can touch.

If a cleanup isn't executed as fast as possible, the residue can cause permanent damage and could even cause the smell to come back! 

SERVPRO of Washington County's cleaning team is highly trained to locate and remove the source of the odor. Other professionals will just mask the scent with a fragrance of some kind and once it wears off, you're left with a bill and no actual solution to your odor problem!

Our professionals also work to make sure you understand all of your possible options when it comes to deodorization. 

Saving Yourself from a Wildfire

9/23/2020 (Permalink)

In recent years it seems like there are more wildfires than ever. Many times we have no control if we are going to lose our home to a wildfire but there are things we can do to prepare and hopefully at times save our home.

So be prepared. Create a defensible space around your home. Keep at least 30 feet between your home and your potential sources. Clean and remove all dead and dry leaves and pine needles from your yard, roof and rain gutters. Create a separation between trees, shrubs and items that would catch fire. These could be things like patio furniture, wood piles, swing sets, etc.

Stay aware of the latest news and updates from your local media and fire department. Get your family, home and pets ready to evacuate. Place an emergency supply kit and other valuables in your vehicle. Be sure to also close and protect your home’s openings, these could be the attic and basement doors and vents, windows, garage doors and pet doors to prevent embers from penetrating your home. Connect garden hoses and fill any pools, hot tubs, garbage cans, tubs, or other large containers with water. Leave as early as possible, before you’re told to evacuate.  

SERVPRO of Washington County is here to help. Please be safe! (301) 797-0677

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen

9/15/2020 (Permalink)

Although house fires are generally down in numbers during the summer months, you still need to be on your toes when cooking. Cooking is one of the top leading causes of house fires by far. Grease and oils can ignite an unattended stove or fires can even occur by igniting dish towels, cardboard boxes, or other flammable objects left near it.

Summertime is a time to be careful as always whether you are cooking indoors or outdoors. Enjoy the easy breezy days of summer but be sure to stay on your toes when cooking! Taking the cooking outdoors in the summer doesn't necessarily keep you safe from a cooking fire. Surprisingly enough, mishandled propane tanks are responsible for many fires and injuries!

If you ever have too many cooks in the kitchen and a fire ignites, you know that you can always call SERVPRO of Washington County for any of your restorative needs! We are always ready and always here to help.

Soot is Small

9/14/2020 (Permalink)

Soot is small. And we mean VERY small. In fact, one particle of soot is typically 2.5 micrometers or smaller, try imagining that! After a fire burns in an area, those teeny tiny soot particles float all over the place and spread burnt carbon, wood, oil, dirt, etc. in every nook and cranny that you didn’t even know existed.

Soot is so tiny that it doesn’t just cover the surface of everything in your space, it also gets INSIDE of almost everything. Your cabinets, drawers, air ducts, it can even make its way into the airtight sealed doors of refrigerators! How crazy is that?

When you have a fire in your home, you need a local team of highly trained professionals to come and clean all of those microscopic soot particles out of your space. You don’t want an unsanitary space that smells like burnt carbon, and neither do we! Give us a call and we will be there right away, we’re open 24/7!

(301) 797-0677